Monday, August 21, 2006

Bellevue Square Mall - Unreal map


Bellevue, Washington

And now for something completely different. Here's a really cool video I came across recently, of the Bellevue Square mall, modeled in 3D, utilizing the Unreal Engine, which is a video game engine used to power the popular computer action shooter game of the same name, Unreal Tournament. It [the map] was put together by students at Bellevue Community College, in Washington.

Now I'm a huge computer game fan & player (have played more than my share of UT2004, among many others!), so this is right down the old snot-locker for me (sorry, that's pilot talk. I've also played too many air combat games over the years as well, hehe). Anyway, I think it's pretty neat, especially considering the fact that I've long been doing "virtual" mall map experiments along these same lines myself over the years, using several different gaming engines--with varying results.

Mall history: 1946 - present
Developer: Kemper Freeman Sr.
Current website: here
Current aerial view
Info from Wikipedia
Resource articles: 1, 2, 3
Previous entries: none

Note: Video is Flash format. If you don't see it, you must temporarily disable your ad-blocking programs.




4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The free floating spiral stair case is very cool. Too bad they flew past it so fast,

Mon Aug 21, 01:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic video!
Who here familiar with it thought you were at the Westchester Mall in White Plains NY?

Mon Aug 21, 02:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rockin find! I need to do a local mall with that engine.

Mon Aug 21, 04:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was pretty cool! I "grew up" at that mall. Haven't been there in awhile, but when the hell did they replace Orange Julius w/ a Starbucks??

Tue Aug 22, 01:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.