Monday, August 28, 2006

Vintage Dixie Square Mall map

I posted this directory map of the Dixie Square Mall in Harvey, Illinois, before but here is an upgraded version that was kindly sent to me by, Paul Mcvay, director of the upcoming documentary, Dixie Square, from Paw Filmworks (to the right is a blowup image I'm also adding for our reference, to make the store layout details and text easier to study and read). Paul wrote:
"I noticed you had a copy of the mall map from 1966 included in your post. It looks as though someone has altered it a bit, for some unknown reason.

I have included two attachments here of a fresh scan I did today of the same mall map but this one is from 1968. This map has previously not made the rounds online and infact isn't even available on anybody's website because the only remaining copy is in my posession. I thought I would share it with you and the Malls Of America group before anyone else.

The map differs quite a bit as far as the store listings and is a much better scan than the 1966 version (which originally came from Harvey, Illinois Historian Debbie Lundmark and has been copied a million times since she originally scanned it about 6 years ago). Hope you and the Malls Of America group enjoy it."
We will, Paul. Thanks again for taking the time to share it (exclusively) with us! I really do appreciate it and continue to look forward to the documentary when it's finally complete this Fall (hopefully). :)




Mall history: 1966 - 1978 (dead)
Architect: Hornbach & Steenwyk
Fan website: here
Current aerial view
Info from Wikipedia
Previous entries: 1, 2, 3, 4



11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want I'll make a "cleaned-up" version of it, that makes the store names and numbers even more legible.

Mon Aug 28, 06:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love the word 'climatized'!

Wed Aug 30, 06:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keith-

Thanks for the links back to the sites.

Hope everyone here interested in Dixie Square enjoys the "new" map.

-Paul

Fri Sep 01, 04:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We do! Thanks for it!! :D

Fri Sep 01, 05:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its the American Way of Life, that has this
great impact to the way things develop in Europe.
But are we are of the cultural damage to us all.

Flemming

Wed Sep 06, 05:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found a website for Dixie Square and read that a Harvey, Illinois historian, Debbie Lundmark, scanned the photos some six years ago. I attended Thornton Twsp HS with a girl named Debbie Lundmark. Could this possibly be the same person??

Sat Sep 30, 02:17:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for posting. I worked at the Allied Radio Shack store there in 1972, also went to Thornton Township High School and Junior College. Dixie Square has a lot of memories attached.

Thu Jan 29, 10:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Mike said...

I just drove past Dixie Square Mall today because of my curiosity for this decaying giant.

As everyone's said, it's suffering big time: decay, neglect, impoverished neighborhood, and lack of interest. Even in the afternoon, this place looks creepy and simply horrible.

I have a feeling the police (whose station/HQ is located right next to the mall) guard the place rather nervously, since I think I was followed by an unmarked police car because I was getting close to the open entrances (as opposed to fenced-off entrances) that dot the mall perimeter.

The residential area around the mall is less than stellar, making me nervous even in the daytime. Maybe I was overreacting, but this place would NOT be recommended to go to at night, let alone inside this rotting structure.

Mon Jul 20, 06:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the Chicagoland local news, the Dixie Mall in Harvey, Il. is scheduled to be demolished in March of 2010. I had the great adventure to "tour" this mall back in the summer of 1989 and it was very surreal. I did acquired a few items though. Sad to hear its going but I think it's time has come.

Thu Feb 18, 11:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're Mike Bargerhoff?

Wed Mar 01, 09:11:00 PM  
Blogger ALBERT said...

Oh I would do anything to get something cool from Dixie Square Mall like a brick or a old letter from on of the stores. If anyone has anything please let me know. Thank you.

Sat May 01, 01:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.