Thursday, October 19, 2006

Lenox Square Mall


Atlanta, Georgia - circa 1960s

We have here another Lenox Square aerial view (and no, I'm not even going to attempt to name the stores we're looking at this time, lol), but what's different about this one from the previous two I've posted for this mall (see links below), is that it's from the opposite end of the other ones. So we can get a slightly new perspective on things this time around.

Eh, the image quality may be so-so on this old postcard scan, but the view is not. Here's the nicely written caption:
"Lenox Square on famous Peachtree Road, just minutes from downtown Atlanta by the new Freeway, is the South's largest regional shopping center. Its merchandising area of 800,000 square feet is equivalent to a row of stores over a mile long.

Quality merchandise is available at the first suburban branches of Rich's and Davison's, Atlanta's largest department stores, and 67 other fine stores. Practically every service is represented, from banking to beauty treatments, from pet shops to a post office. Free parking space accomodates 6,000 cars, then a moving sidewalk and ten escalators transport shoppers about the center."
Mall history: 1959 - present
Current website: here
Current aerial view
Info from Wikipedia
Previous entries: 1, 2, 3, 4



10 Comments:

Blogger The Curator said...

Nice view, Keith. This deal about the "moving sidewalk" has piqued my curiosity. I've never heard about such a thing being at the circa-1960 shopping center.

I was wondering, do you have any photos/postcards of the outparcel Gulf service station (at the upper left, on the postcard view)? It reputedly looked like a spaceship. I've never seen any close-up photos of it....but would love to do so.

Dennis
North Georgia

Fri Oct 20, 12:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that the Sears building in the lower left corner, across Peachtree from the mall? I know that one existed at some point -- it's where the annual Road Race used to start -- but it was gone well before my time. Anybody?

Fri Oct 20, 03:32:00 PM  
Blogger Scott Parsons said...

Is real estate so rare there that they had to build a building over the freeway? That's just weird! (in the aerial).
I'd like to know more about these moving sidewalks, too. I know they've been around since the early Twentieth Century, but never seen them in a mall.
Scott

Fri Oct 20, 06:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we have a new "holy grail" for MoA -- info on the moving sidewalks at Lenox! I'm dying to know too.

Scott -- Buckhead is fairly crowded these days. In true Atlanta fashion, GA 400 (the freeway) was proposed in the 60s, but that stretch didn't open until the 90s. From the outset, that building was designed to have a freeway go under it...so I guess you could say that they really wanted that location bad enough to specifically design the building to accomodate the future freeway.

Sat Oct 21, 05:17:00 PM  
Blogger Scott Parsons said...

Matt, thanks!
That makes it not-so-weird now. :)
Scott

Sat Oct 21, 11:52:00 PM  
Blogger The Curator said...

BigMallRat's comment about the apparent rarity of land in Buckhead [a building being built over the "400 Freeway"], reminded me that, at another corner of the "Lenox Mall", is a building (name escapes me) that has the MARTA subway line going right through the lower part of it.

One witnesses this if they DON'T get off at Lenox Station, and remain on the train, going north to Doraville.

Yup.....land in Buckhead/Atlanta must be that valuable, hee hee.

Sun Oct 22, 10:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vaguely remember a moving sidewalk in only one location. I think it came off the main outdoor concourse, passing behind Rich's and led over to the escalators. If so, it hardly seemed long enough to make a difference.

Tue Oct 02, 07:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Shannon said...

Den,

The JW Marriott is adjacent to MARTA at Lenox, but the building it (MARTA) runs under I believe is the Resurgens Building (which I believe once upon a time housed MARTA's Corporate Offices).

Fri Aug 03, 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger meadowchild98 said...

Heylo! I worked at Patti Carr when Lenox was still an open-air shopping center! We got to dress in the clothes to "model" outfits and it was a great way to sell things and it was fun for us! I used to think I was hot stuff in my short skirts after work going shopping at the Colonial store that was there, after work! And the egg salad sandwiches at um....hmmm...can't remember the name of the sandwich shop...hmm...lol. (you know I'm authentically from that time, since my memory is going...)


Thu Nov 14, 02:45:00 PM  
Blogger Laurel-Ann said...

Hi Keith, I am working on a book about the history of Atlanta and have been looking for an aerial view of Lenox mall. Would there be any way you would let me use this, with credit to you? I would just need a scan that is min 300x300 dpi.
Thank you!
Laurel-Ann

Sat Feb 22, 03:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.