Friday, November 17, 2006

Retail Video: Maleny vs. Woolworths


Australian TV news (2006)

This isn't vintage, it's going on right now. But I like stories like this. There's a Woolworths that's still going strong in Australia. The Australian-based company, Woolworths Limited, operates a bunch of stores and service centers throughout Australia, under the Woolworths banner. One is a major supermarket chain.

This video is a recent TV news report about the ongoing struggle between the town of Maleny, a small village
in rural southeast Queensland, that is fighting on a seemingly very united front, against the invasion of Woolworths into their town, where there's already a longtime IGA store that the locals are not only loyal to, but also standing behind, to keep the Woolworths corporate behemoth from swallowing up their hometown favorite (similar to our Wal-Mart battles in America, I guess). They maintain a site if you'd like to read more. You go, Maleny!

Power to the people!



2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Sobieniak said...

I don't know whether to applaud or laugh at that! And it's not a union thing either!

Fri Nov 17, 11:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, Keith! I am putting up my fist in solidarity right now.

I was at a Woolworth's in Vienna over the summer. It struck me as different yet almost the same. It was your basic discount department store but I still felt something was missing.

Sat Nov 18, 03:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.