Saturday, January 06, 2007

East Rochester Village Mall


East Rochester, New York - 1981

Welcome to the East Rochester Village Mall, as we step back in time to 1981 for this atmospheric interior view. An initial cursory search didn't yield much about this forgotten shopping mall in the Village of East Rochester, New York, so I don't know a lot about it yet. I'm not even sure whether or not it's still standing there in its original "mall" role today. The Google aerial below points to it (as Techniplex Mall), but it looks pretty dilapidated and deserted--small, too.

What I do know is that the mall opened on Main Street in the summer of 1974, as part of an urban renewal project, and that it was renamed, Techniplex Mall, in 1983. I also read that it was widely rumored to have been built by mafia construction companies in 1973. No word on any possible Jimmy Hoffa burial theories, though.

Mall history: 1974 - ?
Current website: n/a
Current aerial view
Previous entries: none

(Study image courtesy and © Monroe County Library System)



7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As dark as that picture makes the mall seem I wouldn't be surprised if poor Jimmy is lurking underneath somewhere.

Sat Jan 06, 09:17:00 PM  
Blogger Nicholas M. DiMaio said...

Mall probably failed early on from lawsuits lodged by people tripping down those groovy carpeted steps.

Mon Jan 08, 12:54:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my mind, this is the funky little spot with carpeted steps and low-hanging lights over the plants which is down some dimly-lit dead-end of the mall... My mind paints an aura of seclusion and mystery around this spot. Great atmospheric photo.

Thu Jan 11, 03:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "mall" actually doubled as my elementary school in the third grade back in 1979 when the main school was undergoing construction. Then...over 20 years later, I returned to the building which was then being used for officespace by Xerox Corporation.

Thu Jan 18, 09:38:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember this mall from when I was in Highschool (late 70's early 80's) it was nice but never really drew a lot of people. Then I worked there for Xerox in the late 90's. It did make great office space. With all the cut-backs at Xerox I'll bet it sits empty now (I left Rochester in 2000).

Sun Jul 08, 07:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anybody know where I can find a vintage photo of the Henrietta Plaza in Henrietta, NY. I would like to see a photo of the way the plaza originally looked, like the 1970's. Thanks.

Sun Feb 24, 01:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

does anyone know the name of the Italian restaurant that was in the mall when it opened?

Sun Jan 19, 06:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.