Sunday, April 22, 2007

MOA Galleria - Retro Shopping Time!


circa 1959

Late-fifties photo from an old Mercury car ad. Even though this appears to be taken outside a grocery store as opposed to a shopping mall per se, I'm still sharing it here because, man... it's just so dang nice and the mood so right! Close enough for our purposes in the "Galleria" anyway, I think. And who knows, maybe the mall is right next door and we just can't see it. They're probably stopping there next, in fact. ;)

I'm no expert on them, but this looks to be taken in front of a Market Basket supermarket, judging by the bit of logo visible. Be that as it may, this great vintage graphic is via one of my favorites, Plan59, which has lots more beautiful, classic print ad art and is well worth a visit--or 20!

Labels: ,



8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks to be the Market Basket chain in Southern California. Judging by the address I would say the location is 6298 West Third St., Los Angeles, CA.

Sun Apr 22, 01:09:00 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Ah, good catch, romleys! I think you're right. :D

Sun Apr 22, 05:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this where the Ross Dress for less is currently? I'm thinking its that building.

Anyone know what the Kmart was across the street before it was a Kmart? It looks awfully big (multi-leveled) for a Kmart.

Mon Apr 23, 12:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember Market Basket. They were part of Kroger I think. MB was bought out by Ralphs in the early 1980's

Mon Apr 23, 02:56:00 PM  
Blogger Synthetrix said...

Mant Market Baskets had cool tower signs that had metalwork that gave the appearance of a woven basket. Anyone have any good pictures of the sign or Thriftymart Big "T" signs?

Synthetrix Photos of the Forgotten

http:photosoftheforgotten.synthetrix.com

Mon Apr 23, 09:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had a big blue whale for a car growing up.

Mon Apr 23, 10:11:00 PM  
Blogger Amanda Tallman said...

I had to look just to make sure that the Market Basket in your picture was different from the Market Baskets around where I live. Market Basket is also the name of a very alive and well grocery store chain in New Hampshire and Massachusetts.

Tue Apr 24, 01:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to college in Andover Massachusetts and there were many(and there still are many) Market Basket grocery stores in the area. The font on the sign was the same, however it was in red--the ones over the line in New Hampshire sold really cheap beer

Fri Apr 27, 08:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.