Sunday, April 22, 2007

Retro Mall Video: '80s Dance Station Booth


Shopping Mall - late '80s

Here's a weird video I recently came across on YouTube, and in my effort to leave absolutely no vintage mall stone unturned, I present it here. For what it's worth. Thought some of you guys might get a (nostalgic?) kick out of it as well, especially the bona fide '80s Mallrats among us.

Remember when shopping malls back then featured totally rad, extra cheesy stuff like this to draw shoppers and teens in? To a certain extent many still do, I guess, but I'm not so sure there are any of these Huey Lewis-powered green screen video dance booth thingies still out there anymore. This clip happens to star a young David Deeble, who it turns out, went on to become a famous comedy juggler. From the video's description:
"David Deeble in the late '80's at some mall that let you dance around in front of a camera with some video effects for a few minutes and they would tape it and give you a copy. MTV was involved, I think a lot of the technology was on loan from NASA. "

Labels: ,



3 Comments:

Blogger Chris Sobieniak said...

Well that was pretty cool. NONE of the malls in my town even bothered sticking something like that in them, and I think the only time I saw something similar to this video was at a county fair up near Monroe, Michigan in the late 80's/early 90's.

Mon Apr 23, 07:29:00 AM  
Blogger Cora Buhlert said...

The only time I ever saw something like this was at a traveling science exhibition in the mid 1990s.

Mon Apr 23, 08:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On looan from NASA? I think this was on loan from someone who knew how to make cheesy video game graphics.

Mon Apr 23, 10:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.