Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Mall Video: Ala Moana Shopping Center


Ala Moana Shopping Center, Honolulu, HI (2006)

Here's a nice little video tour (via Ben's Tours on YouTube) of the Ala Moana Shopping Center as it looks today. I kind of dug this and thought it might be of some interest here as it helps put the mall into some modern perspective for us (as does this link).

Mall history: 1959 - present
Architect: John Graham Jr.
Current aerial view
Current website: here
Info from Wikipedia
Previous entries: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Labels: , , , , ,



3 Comments:

Blogger Cora Buhlert said...

At least, it still has fountains and plenty of greenery. Unfortunately, too many malls these days don't.

The tenants seem to be the standard mix of designer and "name" stores - none too exciting. Though I like the fact that this mall has an Asian grocery. I love Asian groceries.

Wed May 09, 08:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome video!!!! I really enjoyed that. The "shell" of the mall is still the same, but I agree that the mix of stores has certainly changed since the Age of Aquarius. :) (I lived near there from '68 to '71.) I kind of miss seeing the local stores and boutiques mixed in--they gave it such a unique personality. Now it kind of looks like a Hawaiian-themed mall that could be anywhere.

Wed May 09, 06:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben of Ben's Tours here. I appreciate the link and thought I'd add my two cents.

I've been visiting Ala Moana every few years over the past twenty years or so, and certainly have watched as the Mall became more and more high end. It still has it's moments, and as Cora mentioned, the Japanese department store Shirokiya is rather unique.

The one thing that never changes though is my pure enjoyment of the bright, open air feel of the place

Tue Dec 04, 10:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.