Friday, May 04, 2007

Powers Department Store at Highland Village Shopping Center


St. Paul, Minnesota - December 29, 1960

Exterior of the Powers "Highland" department store that was once located in the Highland Village Shopping Center. As this is more of a strip mall shopping plaza and not an enclosed mall, I'll dispense with the usual "mall" info summary at the bottom of this post (as I usually do with these), but I did uncover that this little strip mall first opened (very humbly) in 1939, and was then appreciably expanded throughout the '40s and '50s.

Highland Village Shopping Center, which it appears is still around, doesn't seem to maintain a website, but that's OK. This one's simply about this great picture--and that classy store logo! (Which can also be seen in my Knollwood Plaza entry.)

(Study image courtesy and © Minnesota Historical Society)

Labels: , , , ,



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I moved to the Highland Park area of St Paul in the mid-sixties and opened my first department store charge account at Powers. I wish I had saved that charge card - all it had besides the Powers logo was the customer's name and address. There was no such thing as an account number - everything was probably manually posted to the accounts.

Sat May 24, 02:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The store was not actually attached to the strip mall; it was across Cleveland from it. The store was free-standing. Around the ground floor level wall on at least three sides was a mural depicting all of the Jewish and Christian holidays of the year. The strip mall survives but Powers (later Donaldsons, I think) is no longer standing.

Fri Dec 03, 11:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We lived just on the other side of the Ford bridge - in Mpls. moved there @ 1962/1963 when I was about 9. We went to Powers in Hyland to get my Girl Scout book, uniform & sash. I remember walking in & thinking how elegant it was. Then we went up the escalator to another floor where the glass counters had tons of GS 'stuff'!

Sun Jan 12, 06:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.