Friday, June 08, 2007

Mall Sign: Buckingham Square


Aurora, Colorado

I don't know exactly how "vintage" this sign at Buckingham Square Mall is, but it sure looks pretty (image courtesy of dafaba on Flickr). Does anyone know if this is the mall's original sign from 1971 when it first opened? I'm guessing it's not, just looking at it. Probably an '80s or early '90s makeover design but I really don't know. I'd love to find out it's original vintage signage, though.

Buckingham Square Mall is now closed apparently--a dead mall--and sits awaiting future re-development (which will probably wind up rhyming with "Pall-Vart").

The mall's old website is still online (link below), but I doubt it will get updated anymore.

Mall history: 1971 - 2007
Current website: here
Current aerial view
Previous entries: none

Labels: , , , , ,



7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice sign but as a budding sign expert it doesn't look very vintage. I would be surpised if that were the original sign though.

Fri Jun 08, 06:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your post Keith, kind of looks around 80's or early 90's to me too. Really nice photo and sign either way.

Fri Jun 08, 07:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One things for sure they don't them like they used to.

Nice signage much more decent looking compared to the cheap crap signage I see these days.

If you want to see real real vintage signage check out my local Torrington Parkade's sign!

http://www.amesfanclub.com/forum/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=1156&pid=25571

sadly to the report this plaza is in the midst of a complete demolition oh well I guess you can get pics while you still can (I haven't taken any demo pics at all, neither is the pic of the sign is mine, but you could go here for more info http://thecaldorrainbow.blogspot.com/2007/06/ames-demolished-at-torrington-parkade.html )

Mon Jun 11, 11:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My best guess is its from the 1970s.

It has that type of retro-futuristic flair.

God, I love that style and that word,so cool.

I just love mid-20th century period things everything from music to the fashion, theres just something about it thats magical.

Sun Jun 17, 09:44:00 AM  
Blogger Gary S. said...

I grew up going to that mall in the 70's. I lived a mile away. It was the place to go back then. I recently walked through it. Very sad. Basically a ghost town. There is a Super Target at one end. I here they plan to make it an outdoor walking type mall.

Lotta memories in that building.

gary

Sun Jul 08, 09:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the credit on the photo.
Many more pics can be found here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76967529@N00/sets/72157594364548505/

The Mall is coming down now.

Tue Jan 08, 12:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is definitely the original sign. I moved a few blocks from there in 1972. It's the same sign.

Fri Jul 20, 07:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

To see more posts, click on the monthly links
in the "Archives" section of the sidebar.